Our friend, Samantha, served this as an appetizer the other night at her house. It’s one of David’s most favorite dishes so I had to make it again. If you are going to a dinner or a party sometime soon, offer to bring the appetizer and wow your friends with this one. The guys at Rex’s Seafood will even dice the tuna for you (if you ask nicely and they aren’t too crowded).
Barefoot Contessa's online recipe serves 50 so below is a more manageable quantity from her Family Style cookbook. Serve on water crackers. Delish!
- 3/4 pound very fresh tuna steak cut into small cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 6 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup minced scallions, white and green parts
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Water crackers, like Carr's cracked pepper table water crackers
Cut the tuna into 1/4-inch dice and place in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, wasabi, soy sauce, Tabasco, salt and pepper. Pour over the tuna. Add the scallions and jalapeno and mix well. Dice the avocado and carefully mix into the tuna mixture. Add the toasted sesame seeds and season to taste. Allow the mixture to sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour for the flavors to blend. Serve with crackers.
Post a Comment