I love soup season (even if it’s shorter in Texas)! There are as many variations of tortilla soup as there are flavors of enchiladas. The base of this recipe came from The Junior League of El Paso cookbook, Seasoned with Sun, and was a gift from David’s mom. I have added chicken and avocado to make this recipe more hearty. If temps are warm where you are, crank down the AC and let this soup warm you up!
Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!
|Chicken Tortilla Soup|
1. 1 small onion, chopped
2. 1 – 4 oz. can chopped green chiles, drained
3. 2 cloves garlic, crushed
4. 2 T vegetable oil
5. 1 c peeled and chopped tomatoes (@ 2-3 tomatoes which I didn’t peel)
6. 10 ½ oz. beef stock
7. 10 ½ oz. chicken broth
8. 1 ½ c water
9. 1 ½ c tomato juice
10. 1 t ground cumin
11. 1 t chile powder
12. 1 t salt
13. 1/8 t pepper
14. 2 t Worcestershire sauce
15. 1 T bottled steak sauce (like A1)
16. 3 corn tortillas, cut in ½ inch strips
17. ¼ c shredded cheddar cheese
18. Cooked chicken, cut into bite size pieces, optional
19. Avocado, cut into chunks, optional
Sauté onion, chiles and garlic in oil until soft. Add ingredients #5-15. Bring soup to a boil; lower heat and simmer covered for 1 hour. Add tortillas and chicken and simmer 10 minutes longer. Spoon into a bowl and top with cheese and avocado.
Delicious soup for you and 5 others!