You might remember our love affair with Nobu and its miso cod. Another favorite is the Bluefin Toro Sashimi Salad with Matsuhisa Dressing. The genius of Chef Nobu Matsuhisa is in his sauces; they are what set him apart from the rest.
|Seared Tuna Salad with Matsuhisa Dressing|
1. 10 ounces sushi-grade bluefin toro tuna
2. Sea Salt
3. Freshly ground black pepper
4. 6 cups mixed baby greens
5. Matsuhisa Dressing, recipe follows
1. 3/4 cup finely chopped Maui onion (I used a sweet yellow onion instead)
2. 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons soy sauce
3. 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
4. 2 teaspoons water
5. 1/2 teaspoon sugar
6. Pinch sea salt
7. 1/4 teaspoon powdered mustard
8. Pinch freshly ground black pepper
9. 4 teaspoons grapeseed oil
10. 4 teaspoons sesame oil
For the dressing:
Combine all of the ingredients except the oils. I placed ingredients #1-8 in a mini food processor so the onion would be chopped up extra fine. When the salt is fully dissolved, add the oils. Set aside.
For the tuna:
Sprinkle a little sea salt and pepper on the tuna. Briefly sear the tuna on all sides until its surface turns white (I used a sauté pan with a little olive oil; the recipe also mentions a grill or broiler). Plunge the fish into a bowl of ice water to stop it cooking any further. Shake off the excess water. (I didn’t do the ice water bath).
Cut the tuna into 1/8-inch thick slices. Toss the greens with some of the Matsuhisa dressing and place on a plate. Top with the sliced tuna. Drizzle with a little more dressing.
Post a Comment