This recipe is called “World’s Best” so who am I not to try it? I have made it numerous times and tweaked it along the way. We think this one is a winner. Like Luka!
Note: this lasagna takes a long time to prepare and assemble (like 3+ hours). I know this and still falter at the timing so plan ahead!
- ¾ pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 ounce (1/2 can) tomato paste
- 15 ounce can canned tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 10 oz (2 – 5 oz balls) mozzarella cheese, sliced
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef or turkey, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers (noodles, ricotta, mozzarella, meat sauce, parmesan), and then top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
Bake covered lasagna for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake uncovered for an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving, if you can wait that long.